Home / Blog / News : A year later, Isle of Wight deputies still trying to solve abduction case

Almost a year to the day after an 11-year-old Carrollton girl was abducted from her bus stop and returned to the area several hours later, Isle of Wight Sheriff’s deputies are still trying to find the man behind the incident.

Since the Oct. 2, 2013, incident, officials have received 729 leads in the investigation, 24 of those coming in since January, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.

Of the 24, investigators are looking into three of those leads, with the others having been closed out after interviews with persons of interest, officials said.

Officials said they have forensic evidence that would identify the man in the abduction case.

The girl was taken from a bus stop in the Carrollton area about 8 a.m. on Oct. 2, 2013, and forced into a white, gray or silver Chevy car similar to a two-door Chevrolet Cavalier, authorities previously said. She was then taken to the southern part of Suffolk and into North Carolina to a wooded area behind an abandoned house, then returned to Isle of Wight to a wooded area near Iron Mine Springs Road before taking the girl back to Carrollton where she was taken just after noon.

The girl was sexually assaulted twice while she was missing.

Officials said Tuesday they were also told that a softball-sized chunk was missing from the middle of the dashboard.

The Isle of Wight Sheriff’s Office has been working with the FBI, the U.S. Marshals Service and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children on the case.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the county’s tip line at 757-365-6290 or visit http://www.fbi.gov/norfolk/ and find more information under the “Press Room” link.

Source: http://www.dailypress.com/news/crime/dp-a-year-later-isle-of-wight-deputies-still-trying-to-solve-abduction-case-20140930,0,1464316.story

Copyright © 2015 | Top
%d bloggers like this: